Applicant is eligible to apply for a US Passport Renewal if:
- Your current US passport is in your possession
- Your current US passport is in good condition and un-damaged
- Your current US passport was issued at age 16 or older
- Your current US passport was issued in the last 15 years
- Your current US passport is running out of pages
- Your name has legally changed since your last US passport was issued
If you meet one or more of these requirements, you may apply for a US passport renewal and Passport & Visa Advisors is here to help.
Current US Passport
The applicant must submit their current/expired US passport. The passport must have been issued within 15 years.
The applicant must provide one recent passport photo with their application.
- Taken within the last six months
- Must be in color and on photo paper – glossy or matte finish is acceptable
- Photo size: must be 2” x 2” (51 x 51 mm)
- Head size: between 1” and 1-3/8” (25mm x 35mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head
- No glasses, Neutral expression, No smiles or grins, Facing the camera directly.
- Both eyes open
- No Selfies, No social media filters, No poses
- No hats or head covering, unless for religious purposes. Letter of explanation must be submitted
Click here for passport photo guidelines.
Letter of Authorization
All hand-carry applications must include Letter of Authorization (LOA) granting permission to submit the passport documents on the applicant’s behalf.
PVA will assign a Letter of Authorization to the applicant once their order has been placed. Please call us at 704-246-6373 with your order number after your order is placed.
The Letter of Authorization must bear the original signature of the applicant. Photocopies, scans and any other facsimile of an original LOA aren’t accepted by the US Passport Agency.
Proof of International Travel
The US Passport Agency requires proof of travel within 2-4 weeks depending on the traveler’s destination. Acceptable proof of international travel includes:
- A flight itinerary from the airline, travel agency or online booking company.
- A confirmation showing a Trip ID to an international destination is the most common proof of travel.
- A business letter on company letterhead explaining why urgent travel is required.
- Click here for a business letter template.
- A personally signed letter of explanation explaining that a passport is required for employment.
- A personally signed letter explaining that the traveler’s employer requires frequent travel with unexpected notice.
- If travel is to Canada or Mexico, a hotel confirmation is best, however a letter of explanation will also be considered.
Note: Letters of explanation are accepted at the discretion of the US Passport Agency.
The applicant is required to submit a signed DS-82 application. The DS-82 application must be filled out online via the US Passport Agency’s website. A hand-written applications will lead to delays in processing.
If the application is done properly, a barcode will appear in the upper left hand corner and the bottom right hand corner of the pages.
The DS-82 application must be printed SINGLE-SIDED. The applicant is only required to submit the last 2 pages of the application.
Click here to fill out and print the DS-82 application.
The US Passport Agency charges $170 for expedited adult passports.
The $170 Expedited Passport Fee is paid to the U.S. Department of State and must be paid by:
- Checks (personal, certified, cashier’s, traveler’s) or money orders payable to “U.S. Department of State”
- Additional $30 will be charge if you order a Passport Card with your Passport Book
Passport processing days are counted in business, not calendar days and unless special arrangements are made in advance, the day the documents are received by PVA is not counted as a processing day.
Government Fees are paid by the applicant at the Acceptance Agency and are not collected by PVA.
Once the applicant has collected all documents listed above, please contact PVA for more detailed instructions regarding what happens next.
- Current passport
- One passport photo – 2” x 2” (51mm x 51mm) color passport photo
- Letter of Authorization – print two copies and signed in black ink
- Proof of International Travel
Note: Flight itinerary showing travel from the USA in less than two week for a passport alone or four weeks or less if a visa is required – print two copies of itinerary
- DS-82 Application – filled out online, printed single sided and signed in black ink
- Passport Fee – $170 payable to the US Department of State
Once the documents are received at PVA’s office:
- PVA will review the documents provided on the outside of the sealed envelope and the application is prepped for submission at the Passport Agency
- PVA will hand walk the application into the Passport Agency for submission and collect the passport (and supporting documents) upon completion.
- PVA’s Quality Check will verify the information is correct on the passport before shipping it back. If any information is incorrect, we will resubmit to correct the issue at no additional cost.
- PVA will FedEx the new passport, birth certificate or naturalization certificate and all other original documents to the address provided on the applicant’s PVA order form.
Once the passport has been received by the applicant:
- It’s the responsibility of the passport owner to review the passport one more time when it arrives. If an error is found, please bring this to PVA’s attention immediately and we’ll get the issue corrected.